August 09, 2009

Sweet Cornbread with Blueberries


I love cornbread. I don't know much about the southern vs. New England cornbread debate, but I know that I've never met a cornbread I didn't like.

I've always been a fan of cornbread with a hint of sweet. Especially with that extra drizzle of honey on top. But I also like a hearty texture and the grittiness of the cornmeal.

To be honest, this recipe doesn't have that umph of cornmeal that I love. It's more subtle. I wonder what would happen if I decreased the flour a smidgen and increased the cornmeal? (I'll have to try.) But, this recipe is pretty delicious just as it is! Whoever thought to pair cornbread with blueberries was... well... smart.

Sweet Cornbread with Blueberries
adapted from Land O' Lakes
1 1/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 c cornmeal
2 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
3/4 c milk
1/4 c butter, melted (and slightly cooled)
1/4 c maple syrup (go with the real thing!)
1 egg, beaten
1 c fresh blueberries coated with a bit of flour (to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan and exuding blue color in the bread)

Heat oven to 375. Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Then add the milk, butter, maple syrup and egg and mix until just incorporated. Gently stir in the blueberries.


Grease and 8 or 9 inch square baking pan (or do a bread pan like I did, but expect to add 10 to 20 minutes of baking time). Pour in the batter and bake 25 to 35 minutes until slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.




Try it! Perhaps you will love the hint of maple flavor with the blueberries as much as we did.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails