Homemade Cereal--Why Not?


Have you ever stopped to think about your cereal?

If you're like me, it's something you eat every day. Yet, do you think about what impacts cereal has environmentally or financially?

Cereal is really quite a basic thing when you think about it. Grains. Dried fruit. But then consider what we pay for that cereal.

Doris Janzen Longacre in the More-with-Less cookbook originally got me thinking about this when she said, "Instead of buying rolled oats at thirty cents a pound, we use puffed, colored, sweetened, vitamin-enriched, foil-and-cardboard-packaged dry cereal at $1.12 a pound."

The funny part is that for a very long time, it never even occurred to me to make my own cereal. Cereal is something you buy. Well, no more.

Now I make granola on a regular basis. It's fantastic. It's easy, inexpensive and 100 percent customizable to my taste (and what's in my pantry).

Crunchy Granola
from More-with-Less by Doris Janzen Longacre
Preheat oven to 325.

Combine in a large bowl:
1 c shredded coconut (unsweetened)
4 c rolled oats
1 c sunflower seed
1 c wheat germ
1/4 c to 1/2 c sesame seed
1 c chopped peanuts, walnuts or almonds

Bring to a boil:
1 c honey or brown sugar
1/2 c oil (if using brown sugar, increase oil to 3/4 c.)
1 T cinnamon

Take the liquid mixture off the heat at the first sign of a boil. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spread on 2 greased baking sheets. Bake about 30 minutes, stirring often (three to four times). Watch closely toward the end to avoid burning. Allow to cool undisturbed, then break into chunks. If you'd like, add raisins or other dried fruit. Store in sealed container.

Note: Honey gives you a more chunky granola. The granola pictured has brown sugar.

Good luck making your own cereal!

Comments

Mrs.Wilson said…
I just found your blog by clicking "next blog". You've peaked my interest and now I must "follow" you. Thanks for posting the recipe for the cereal. This has been something that I've been thinking of doing for a long time.
Maggie said…
Thanks Mrs. Wilson!

Popular Posts